Satiation of the Mind.
A good day it sure was. I got my dose of long rides on the MRT, something i've missed during my hols. The train ride essentially is the very essence of my life as a student in NUS. I ponder, reflect and actually induce brain activities. I get inspired, driven, enlightened sometimes even stared at in the train. But its all good. Coz at the end of it, somehow, it makes me a better person. At least i think it does.
Today, I gave up my seat to a really elderly man. He actually boarded the train, a couple, with his also elderly wife. Now, when i saw elderly, i so seriouly mean OLD. Like, they were stick thin and giving in to osteoporosis or something (no insults intended here), their veins around their arms and legs were overtly visible and their faces were a tad transclucent. Its like the wrinkles and dryness of the skin made the blood vessels and nerves beneath it visible too. Nevertheless, they boarded the train and the lady managed to gyrate herself to a seat beside me, while the man held her hand ever so tenderly. I was at awe. Coz despite their historical age, the old man was hanging on to her handbag and yes they were clasping hands before that. It was sweet. Sweetness of a different degree. Sweetness that will survive every tormenting storm mother earth dishes out. This was a couple, just like any other lad and lady one would encouter in the streets, yet in some deeper sense, it was different. My gut was reacting to the uncommon scene unfolding before me, so were my tear ducts. I didnt want to be the one to come between them, their love for each other was evident and too much to ignore. I relinquished my seat.
Today, I gave up my seat to a really elderly man. He actually boarded the train, a couple, with his also elderly wife. Now, when i saw elderly, i so seriouly mean OLD. Like, they were stick thin and giving in to osteoporosis or something (no insults intended here), their veins around their arms and legs were overtly visible and their faces were a tad transclucent. Its like the wrinkles and dryness of the skin made the blood vessels and nerves beneath it visible too. Nevertheless, they boarded the train and the lady managed to gyrate herself to a seat beside me, while the man held her hand ever so tenderly. I was at awe. Coz despite their historical age, the old man was hanging on to her handbag and yes they were clasping hands before that. It was sweet. Sweetness of a different degree. Sweetness that will survive every tormenting storm mother earth dishes out. This was a couple, just like any other lad and lady one would encouter in the streets, yet in some deeper sense, it was different. My gut was reacting to the uncommon scene unfolding before me, so were my tear ducts. I didnt want to be the one to come between them, their love for each other was evident and too much to ignore. I relinquished my seat.
------------
It was an awakening. I told you train rides should never be belittled. I too would like a piece of their sweetness. I too would someday like to clasp hands with my brave one and front the miles of uncharted path before us. Alas! Destiny deals me a marotte...
Comments