Im farting again.

Its been a while. We've had presentations, late nostalgic lectures and cohort photo taking, that didn't seem very exciting. It wasn't even close to those jolts of excitement I would feel during my pri/sec/jc photo takings. Bluek. The later part of it was fun though. Anyways, blame it on dayah's morning, melancholic message man, but i'm feeling a tad of sadness too. *sniffs*

Four years is a long time and It's coming to a close.

I'm NOT gonna dwell on that just yet. Coz i know for sure, tears are gonna be shed, knowing how mushy i can get. So here's a little contemplation of my ineptness for the construction industry.

The notion of wanting to not be part of this industry surfaced after the first year of studies. It finally occurred to me that the construction industry is not what I am cut out for.

Reasons:

I’m not money driven. This is perhaps due to my fundamental upbringing. The search for happiness supersedes the search for money. That itself is of great contrary to the driving principles of the construction industry, where the emphasis on monetary value is overtly prevalent.

Time is never of the essence to me. Need I say more? Time is always of the essence in this industry. The rush hours, the incessant load of work and the seemingly innate overtimes that are expected of people in the industry. I would not have a problem with that if I actually LIKE my job, unfortunately, measuring quantities or managing construction projects are just not that appealing to me, ultimately.

Contrasting work ethics I have witnessed how superiors in the construction industry blatantly flare up and openly bombard their staffs under them. Its just rather unbecoming of a superior and undoubtedly unprofessional. Sadly, it seems to be the norm in the construction industry and that scares me. I am not used to being overtly insulted in such a manner and therefore would rather not be in that position, ever.


Did internship further confirm your intention? if so, how?

Undoubtedly! I was interning at one of the local Town Councils. Hence I was given the opportunity to experience the overt relation between the built environment and the politics of our nation. Essentially, the operations of providing a substantial level of public housing and facilities are governed not merely by money, its also politically inspired (not in a wholesome way).

Apart from that, project management in the public sector operates on a rather mundane level. Its working hours are generally from 8am to 5:30pm. Work would include meeting contractors, sub-contractors as well as the menial laborers, with whom communication becomes a major issue.

My internship period ultimately solidifies the fact that the construction industry isn't my calling.


Boo hoo hoo! Off to watch the pattering of the rain. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen to me.

*yawns*

Staleness