My new love- Chinatown.
Oh yes, yesterday was my first visit to Chinatown. I loved it. Im definately going back there sometime soon. :) Its really true when they say, you never really could embrace something unless you've actually experienced it first hand. I used to have this twisted notion that Chinatown is like a gangster's haven or something, like everyone there is just high on opium and there are plenty neatly groomed women clad in cheongsam with ceramic teapots in their hands... aaah the smell of fresh simmering chinese herbs wafting through the air. Ok wake up!
That was just the crooked idea i had, induced by my years of social studies and history classes.
Chinatown was nothing like that. At least not tangibly. But you could see subtle signs of the past that looks pretty much like how i painted it in my mind. You could imagine what the streets looked like back then, even juxtapose them in your mind. Its a tad magical if you could just senselessly delve into its past. I'm a a sucker for everything cultural. Culture is a rampant phenomenon of humans and appreciating it brings me a step closer to enlightenment. Well, its like tai chi. It gives me temporary peace, before the ignorance of another culture starts niggling at me again.
This was the first picture taken in chinatown. Hehe...its cute. The colours are so chinese. Wonder how it would look like if the decorations were in say, a combination of purple and green. Hehe. I like it nonetheless.
Oh yes, i braved the crowd for this shot ok. At first there was no one near this poor lil structures meant for picture-taking. After we got the ball rolling by posing so shamelessly behind these coloured timber (which i must say is a typical trait in my family), hordes of people started stopping for pictures. Tourists and singaporeans alike!
Thats my not so chinese look dad and my very chinese looking mom. damn, she actually fits in perfectly. It just aint fair!
This lanterns are just gorgeous. I wish i was staying behind those.
I like the shophouses la. I wanna live in one of those. Ok that man just wants to be in the picture, disregard him. Filthy.
I dont know what i was doing. Perhaps just acting cute or something.
This nice uncle was somewhat flirting with my mom. HE stopped when my mum introduced her three daughters and her husband. Hehe. it was funny.
I dunno why, but this picture makes me feel so protected. Im not complaining though.
Rite, the main focus here is the chick in the foreground. please dont disregard red one who's searching for gold in thebackground. Man, she looks bloody happy in there.
My youngest sister. We sneaked in a shot along the hawker street and as you can see, its by the darn garbage. So unglam.
This basically sums up what chinatown is about. The people, their culture and other people as well. :)
That was just the crooked idea i had, induced by my years of social studies and history classes.
Chinatown was nothing like that. At least not tangibly. But you could see subtle signs of the past that looks pretty much like how i painted it in my mind. You could imagine what the streets looked like back then, even juxtapose them in your mind. Its a tad magical if you could just senselessly delve into its past. I'm a a sucker for everything cultural. Culture is a rampant phenomenon of humans and appreciating it brings me a step closer to enlightenment. Well, its like tai chi. It gives me temporary peace, before the ignorance of another culture starts niggling at me again.
Comments